Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Retro Kitchen to Pomegranates

I have done several new prints (and a couple collections) since the rainbow hat pattern. I have the hat completed, but one of the colors didn't print correctly (it does now under the new color profile), so I am holding off on a post for it until I can do a new version of it. I may end up making a doll size version as a test. Here are my recent contest entries and their results.

* Retro Rainbow Hat: 35/42

* Range Cubes: 78/281

Range Cubes
Fat quarter, 21" x 18" view shown. Click on image to see print in yardage.

This contest was for fabrics with a kitchen theme, in a retro style, and in a restricted color palette. Range Cubes is made up of stylized range coils and knobs, making a fun retro design. I really like how this print turned out, and think it would be perfect for potholders, oven mitts, aprons, and the like.

* Garden of Magic: 146/500

Garden of Magic
Fat quarter, 21" x 18" view shown. Click on image to see print in yardage.

This print was for the Hand Drawn contest, which drew a huge number of entries. Garden of Magic was inspired by one of my favorite childhood books, The Secret Garden. I drew flowers described as being in the garden, and colored them with oil pastels. I drew the pattern with a half drop, so minimal digital work was done (I did have to touch up the repeat a bit after scanning, but I did not digitally create the repeat).

* Parallelogram Trapezoid Stripe: 164/375

Parallelogram Trapezoid Stripe
Fat quarter, 21" x 18" view shown. Click on image to see print in yardage.

Parallelogram Trapezoid Stripe was for the Geometric contest, which had a restricted color palette. I like the optical illusion this print creates. I also have it in other colors, but they are not available for purchase yet.

* Extinct Animal Crackers: 91/226

Extinct Animal Crackers Scatter Large
Fat quarter, 21" x 18" view shown. Click on image to see print in yardage.

This print is part of a collection that will receive its own post soon. Extinct Animal Crackers was for the Extinct Animals contest. This wasn't my first choice for the contest, but switched to this print to add some fun to the sad contest. I digitally drew several extinct animals in cookie form, and topped some cookies with icing and sprinkles. More details will be in the post for this collection.

* Starry Starry Stripes Grey: 108/328

Starry Starry Stripes Grey
Swatch 8" x 8" view shown. Click on image to see print in yardage.

Starry Starry Stripes Grey was for the Stars and Stripes contest theme. I also did this print in a red, white, and blue colorway, but decided to enter this greyscale version for the contest since I knew there would be a lot of red, white, and blue designs. I like how this print has an almost dainty feel in yardage. It's simple, but extremely useable.

* Hot Air Pomegranates: 148/290

Hot Air Pomegranates
Fat quarter, 21" x 18" view shown. Click on image to see print in yardage.

I went in a whimsical direction for the Pomegranates contest. I was looking at a sketch of a pomegranate and thought how much it looked like a hot air balloon. I decided to use the idea for this print, and love how it turned out.

All these fabric prints are available for purchase by clicking on their image (though not all their colorways are available for sale, if they have other colorways). The Retro Rainbow Hat is not available for sale yet, as I still have to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment